Blue is a 14 year old Catahoula Dog who ate an electric blanket last week. He has been doing well at home but started vomiting last night and this morning. This morning he also vomited a piece of a blanket.
X-rays reveal several bright foreign objects within the stomach as well as large pieces of unknown material. Blue was put under anesthesia and an endoscopy was performed to evaluate his stomach. Inside his stomach there was a large amount of a cloth blanket material as well as wires, plastic, and other foreign objects. There was also cloth material obstructing his pylorus. All of this material was removed with endoscopic forceps and surgery was avoided. Blue is being treated for a stomach ulcer and should have a full recovery.
Tucker is an 8 year old Alaskan Husky Mix who ingested chicken bones this morning and has been vomiting all day. Several bone fragments were verified inside his stomach with X-Rays.
A flexible endoscope was introduced into Tucker’s stomach and several pieces of bone were identified and removed with both a basket and grasping forceps. Tucker recovered uneventfully and surgery was avoided.
Cazzi is a 9 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever who loves to swim and chase sticks. 2 weeks prior she was swimming in the lake with a stick and appeared to choke on something. She went under the water and then came up gasping for air. Since then she has been sneezing, her breathing is louder than usual, and there is blood coming from her nostrils. Her regular veterinarian prescribed antibiotics but there was no change. She came to us for a second opinion and evaluation for rhinoscopy. A rhinoscope was introduced into the mouth and angled up into the back of the nasal cavity (posterior rhinoscopy). A large piece of wood was found embedded in the nasal cavity partially obstructing the cavity. A grasping forcep was used to remove the foreign body. Cazzi went home that day and has had a full recovery.
Maverick is a 6 month old Labrador Retriever who ate an electrical cord yesterday. He has been vomiting pieces of electric cord as well as defecating cords. His X-rays reveal numerous pieces of wire located throughout the stomach and gastrointestinal tract.
A flexible gastroscope was introduced into his stomach and several pieces of wire, paper, and other items were identified in the stomach. There was also a large bundle of wires partially obstructing the pylorus. These wires were removed with grasping forceps and surgery was avoided. Maverick recovered well.
Betty is a 13 week old Labrador who ate a 12 inch long piece of leather 15 minutes prior to her examination. She was placed under anesthesia and several pieces of leather were identified with our endoscope. These pieces were removed from her stomach and surgery was avoided. She went home 90 minutes after her examination.
June is a 4-year-old female Poodle who presented to her regular veterinarian for vomiting and decreased appetite. She is currently being treated for Addison’s disease and was well controlled. Her owner did not report any change in her normal routine and she did not have access to any drugs or toxins. X-rays revealed a suspicious object in the stomach and she was referred to Creekside Veterinary Hospital for an Endoscopic evaluation of her stomach and intestines.
Endoscopy revealed numerous large cloth-like materials encompassing the majority of her stomach. Her pylorus and duodenum were free from foreign objects.
All of the material was removed from the stomach with our endoscopic forceps and surgery was avoided. The cloth material was found to be 3 pieces of underwear, 1 sock, and several pieces of cotton/cloth. She was treated for a stomach and esophageal ulcer and has done very well since.
Dachos is a 15-week old Chesapeake Bay Retriever who was referred to Creekside Veterinary Hospital for Endoscopy. The previous evening he ate a rib bone and he had vomited one time. His regular veterinarian took an X-Ray and diagnosed a rib foreign object located in his stomach.
He was referred to Creekside Veterinary Hospital for endoscopic retrieval of his foreign body in hopes to avoid a major abdominal surgery.
After placing Dachos under anesthesia, an endoscope was placed into his esophagus and into his stomach. A large bone was visualized inside the main portion of the stomach causing erosions and ulcerations of the stomach wall.
The bone was isolated and grasped using rat-tooth endoscopic forceps and gently removed from the stomach and out through the esophagus and mouth.
Bone being removed from stomach with rat-tooth forceps.
Dachos woke up from anesthesia and went home the same day. He is currently being treated for a stomach ulcer but should have a full recovery.
Tonka is a 11 month old Clumber Spaniel dog who swallowed a rock and has been vomiting for 3 days. X-rays reveal a large rock in the stomach and he was referred to Creekside to retrieve the rock foreign body with an endoscope.
The rock was visualized in the stomach along with numerous stomach ulcers and erosions.
The rock was captured with an endoscope basket and removed from the stomach through the esophagus.
Tonka went home 1 hour later with supportive medications to treat his stomach ulcers and surgery was avoided.
“Henry” is a 13 year old Pug who was referred to Creekside for evaluation of chronic nasal discharge. His discharge has been non-responsive to traditional therapy and he has been coughing progressively worse over time. It was decided a rhinoscopy would be performed to evaluate Henry’s posterior and anterior nasal cavity.
In this image of the posterior nasal cavity several erosions and bleeding can be seen. Also, a nasal mass can be see in the left nasal cavity in the background.
In this view of the posterior nasal cavity a large mass black can be visualized in the left nasal cavity behind a wall of mucous. In this image the left nasal cavity is on the right side of the screen.
This mass was removed with biopsy forceps and submitted to the laboratory. The mass was identified as a Nasal Polyp.
Nasal Polyp Histology
Nasal polyps are benign masses of the nasal cavity that can grow over time and cause infection, irritation, and discharge. The rarely cause serious disease unless allowed to grow too largely. Henry has been doing very well since his procedure and is back to hiking and exercising with his owner.
Tucker is a 6 year old Miniature Australian Shepherd who fractured his premolar tooth. A fractured tooth can be painful and can cause infections (abscess). This tooth did become infected and was causing him considerable pain and discomfort. It was decided a root canal would be the best option for Tucker because it would avoid a major dental surgery, save the tooth, and eliminate any source of pain and infection.
Tucker Riddle 208 RC:
Gordy is a 5-year-old male Pug who presented to Creekside for a teeth cleaning in December of 2015. At that time his second premolar (106) was infected and had a large periodontal pocket (> 6 mm). This tooth was threatening to disrupt the health of the next tooth (107) which is an important tooth for chewing.
108 was also suffering from bone loss and a small abscess/infection.
It was decided in order to save the larger more important teeth (107-108) we would need to remove the smaller infected tooth (106). Furthermore, due to the large amount of infection and bone loss around 108, we would need to perform an advanced periodontal technique which employed the use of a periodontal regenerative therapy called EmdogainTM. If this product did not succeed Gordy would surely lose his tooth to further infection and bone loss.
Emdogain is a soft gel designed to regenerate lost soft and hard periodontal tissues caused by periodontitis, helping to save and preserve the tooth. One year after Gordy’s teeth cleaning and Emdogain application he was seen again for X-rays to check his progress. He has shown marked clinical improvement and X-rays reveal a substantial amount of bone regeneration. He had no evidence of abscess/infection and was doing very well.
Picture of Gordy’s tooth (108) 1 year after Emdogain application. The tooth and gums appear healthy and are without any signs of disease radiographically.
Bodhi is a 6 year old Australian Shepherd who presented to our Veterinary Dentistry Department for treatment of two fractured premolar teeth. These teeth were bleeding, painful, and infected.
Bodhi went home the same day and is doing great and pain free.
Buggles is a 7 year old Domestic Cat who presented to our Veterinary Dental Department for evaluation of a fractured mandibular canine tooth. The tooth was fractured into the pulp cavity and infected.
A root canal was performed on the tooth and the tooth was rebuilt with a composite. Buggles is now pain and infection free without major surgery.
“Addie” is a 5 year old Australian Cattle Dog who presented to our veterinary dentistry department for treatment of a fractured and infected premolar tooth.
A root canal was performed to this tooth in order to save it. It is the largest and most important tooth for chewing and a root canal will eliminate pain, infection, and a major maxillary surgery.